I'm Aloys 27 years old, I'm currently working as an Cloud Support Engineer in France 🇫🇷 for an international IT company (Platform.sh (opens new window)).
- Spoken Languages
- Public Projects
- XP / Technical Skills
# Spoken Languages
Traveling and getting to know new cultures is an activity I value a lot. So far I lived more than ten years abroad (Poland since 7 months, Germany for 11 years and France for the rest). Moving to a new country and the required adaptability and flexibility have become a second nature for me. Spending time abroad allowed me to become more open-minded and adaptable. In the upcoming years I'd like to move to Canada , New Zealand or Australia to further improve those skills and challenge myself even further
- 🇫🇷 French (Native speaker)
- 🇩🇪 German (C2)
- 🇬🇧 English (C1)
- 🇵🇱 Polish (Beginner)
# Public Projects
Stay tuned, more will follow
- My portfolio (opens new window) - - The page you are currently browsing is also one of my projects. It's based on vuepress (opens new window) , it's automatically deployed using Travis CI (opens new window) and automatically notifies me regarding the build state through a selfmade telegram bot (I use the same deployment system and technologies for Useful Tools).
- Useful Tools (opens new window) - - Useful tools sorts the tools I gathered in the last years. They give me a solid base to start new projects.
- Dotfiles, config and more (opens new window) - - A collection of everything I use to setup macOS to suit my needs.
- Update Notifier (opens new window) - - An utility that checks when updates for selected software is available. Built with Python3 . Can be deployed through vagrant and docker . Sends notifications through Telegram .
An overview of my GitHub contribution graph
# XP / Technical Skills
You can find here a short summary of my work experience. Let’s talk about it. I’ll be really happy to give you more details and answer your questions.
As I started to study development, I’ve discovered how interested I was in System Administration / DevOps / SRE and Project Management and decided to go along with that.
- 🌍 2020 - current position : "Cloud Support Engineer" working from the Homeoffice
- 🇵🇱 2019 - 2020: "Operations Coordinator" in Poland.
- 🇩🇪 2018 - 2019: "Web Support agent" in Germany.
- 🇩🇪 2016 - 2018: German Apprenticeship as "Computer Science Expert with focus on System Integration".
- 🇫🇷 2012 - 2014: Computer science studies in Epitech Strasbourg + 6 month Internship
# Short summary of my SysAdmin Experience
During my apprenticeship I was the only Sysadmin in the company, setting up maintaining and securing servers and services but also managing users.
Amongst other tools and services, I deployed Rocket.Chat () for the communication between the company and external contributors (a few hundred users in total), different mail servers (courier IMAP → Dovecot) and Webhosting Services (Confixx → Plesk migration, Apache / Nginx), ... I automated tasks using Bash and several CLI tools (IMAPsync, mjml.io ...).
In the middle of my apprenticeship, I decided to change the company to join OVHcloud. My final project for the apprenticeship was setting up a clustered ELK-Stack (Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash) to monitor a fleet of machines and gain more insights about the performance of those machines.
According to Pluralsight IQ (opens new window):
I've been the administrator of a gîte in Alsace (France) for more then 10 years, tasks included:
- setting up the wifi: design the deployment, cable management, setting up the Access Points (Unifi), Setting up the Firewall (pfsense) and the VLANs, ...
- managing the backup and data storage strategy on the NAS (Synology)
- setting up the computers and managing them (, , ) using tools such as JAMF, teamviewer, ...
- creating, translating and maintaining the website (based on wordpress)
System Administration or Project Management are directions in which I would like to pursue my career. Having some experience in different fields allows me to have a good insight and a more in-depth understanding of underlying issues that can be faced when managing a project, or to spot difficulties in communication between techies and management and address them.
# Programming / Scripting languages and technologies
My current tools:
- Visual Studio Code (opens new window) (with a lot of plugins)
- Oh My Zsh (opens new window) - My favorite shell
- Vagrant (opens new window) - To avoid the famous "but it worked on my computer"
- Python (opens new window)
- Bash (opens new window)
- Ansible (opens new window)
- Jira (opens new window)
- Confluence (opens new window)
- Hammerspoon (opens new window) - An automation tool for macOS
- Trello (opens new window) - a Kanban (opens new window) board
I chose to display an estimation of the real time i spent using the different technologies I encountered, because I think that the time spent working with a specific technology is probably a better metric than a progress bar (and it's more accurate). Next to it is how I would assess my skills
See the details by clicking here
|Technology||Years of experience||Self-assesment|
|ELK Stack||1 year||★★☆☆☆|
I enjoy practising sports (skiing, golf and downhill mountainbiking 🚲), reading thrillers 📚 and listening to music. Both reading and sports give me the focus needed to maintain a good work/life balance required when working in IT. Globally speaking I'm always keen to learn and on finding out how to further improve my skills and workflows be it when doing my hobbies or working.